As DNA sequencing becomes more prevalent and genomics research uncovers discoveries rapidly, the way this information is presented to the public is crucial.
A well-designed website can communicate complex concepts clearly and engage visitors in the latest discoveries.
But what makes a great genomics website? We’ve rounded up 6 of the best examples to give you some inspiration for your content!
Since 2006, 23andMe has been a popular DNA testing company that provides customers with information about their ancestry, health, and traits. Yet, they’ve tested over 12M+ samples and have over two million customers. Their FDA-authorized genetic tests give individuals insights into more than 85+ health conditions and traits.
Design-wise, 23andMe’s website uses a minimalistic approach. The homepage features a large hero image with clear personalized CTAs to learn more about their product offerings.
The copy is short and to the point, focusing on the company’s key value proposition – “80% receive a report with the meaningful genetic variant. Will you be part of 80%?”
What we love about their site is
- It’s extremely user-friendly.
- The top navigation bar shows a BIG DISCOUNT when you purchase their health + ancestry kit, so you can’t miss it.
- The “Shop now” CTA buttons are placed in strategic locations throughout the site to make it easy for visitors to take the next step and purchase a kit.
Their price board, shown immediately, increases the confidence of the users. By listing the price of their kits and how much it would cost to purchase each item separately, 23andMe can show off the value of its product and increase perceived transparency.
In line with transparency and increasing confidence, they provide data and stats such as “12 million+ customers” and “51% reported setting healthy goals”.
23andMe’s website is an excellent example of how to design a clean, user-friendly, and conversion-driven site in the genomics space.
2. 24 Genetics
Europe’s leading independent provider of ancestry, health, and wellness genetic testing, 24 genetics, uses the latest technological advancements to offer a wide range of DNA tests for individuals and businesses.
24Genetics is a cutting-edge DNA testing firm that has served thousands of customers in more than 100 nations. It is one of the most well-known and respected companies in the field. All laboratory duties and algorithmic processing are handled in Europe – which means they don’t outsource.
- The website design is modern, focusing on delivering a high-quality user experience.
- It is easy to navigate and provides a wealth of information on the various services offered by the company.
- The ‘Shop’ page is well designed and allows customers to find the DNA test they are looking for easily.
The company offers excellent information through its blog content, which includes a wide range of topics related to genetics, health, and wellness. The blog articles are well researched and provide valuable insights into the latest developments in the field.
Overall, 24genetics offers a great user experience and is a trusted provider of DNA testing services.
Another popular provider of DNA tests, AncestryDNA is a subsidiary of Ancestry.com – one of the largest online genealogy databases in the world.
AncestryDNA has the largest customer database of any genomic testing and mapping company, with over 10 million customers. The company offers a wide range of ancestry, health, and wellness tests.
The website is engaging and interactive, inviting the users to search and purchase their products. When you open the website’s homepage, you are immediately greeted with a strong CTA “Know your world from the inside” to take the AncestryDNA test which engages users.
Right after that, an organized price table for their 3 main products invites users to shop, and at the end of the page, a process section on how to order the kit closes up the call to action. In addition, the top bar of the site shows a lot of tools that make it attractive for users to make a decision.
- The website design is elegant and modern, with a focus on delivering an excellent user experience.
- The company has a FAQ section that is easy to find, and the website is available in both US and UK English, which facilitates terminology understanding.
Be happy to Be You is a genomics website that helps individuals understand their DNA and make informed decisions about their health. Images on their homepage of different people from different cultures hint at the inclusivity of the company.
- The website has a very simple and minimalistic logo with a smiley face in the middle to make it look more approachable.
- The light color palette makes it look fresh.
- It is designed with a very user-friendly interface.
Founded in 2009, Centrillion Biosciences is a genomic medicine company developing diagnostics and therapeutics for rare genetic diseases.
- The website design is modern and sophisticated, with a focus on delivering an excellent user experience.
- The company has a ‘Technology’ section that contains a wealth of information on its various genomic technologies.
- The calligraphy and graphics used on the website are eye-catching and help to convey the message that the company is a cutting-edge genomic technology firm.
6. Dante Labs
Dante Laboratories is a prominent worldwide genomics firm with customers in 97 nations and the world’s leading provider of genomic information and practical insights for people.
Their aim is to democratize genetic knowledge, breaking the norms of a lucrative and long-standing sector that prevents people from maintaining their health.
- Dante Labs’ website is clean and clear, with an easy-to-use interface that makes it simple for customers to order their service.
- Overall, the design is not fancy or overly complex, but it is effective and makes it easy to learn more about Dante Labs and its offerings.
What Makes Genomics Web Design & Development Great
What comes to mind when you think of a great website? Design, usability, and content are important factors no matter what industry you’re in.
- The best genomics websites share some common design features that make them both informative and visually appealing.
- Many sites listed below use large, eye-catching images and visuals to draw visitors in. But they also use these visuals judiciously, ensuring that the site doesn’t appear cluttered or overwhelming.
- Similarly, these sites strike a balance between providing enough information to be educational without bogging down visitors with too much text. They use headlines, bullet points, and short paragraphs to break up the text and keep visitors engaged.
- Finally, the best genomics websites use clear and intuitive navigation to help visitors find the information they’re looking for quickly and easily.
- Now that we’ve covered some of the key features of great genomics website design let’s look at some of the best examples out there.
Unlike other industries, genomics is constantly evolving as new discoveries are made. This means that genomics website design needs to be flexible enough to change and adapt as new information becomes available.
If you’re looking for inspiration for your own genomics website, the examples above are a great place to start. But remember, the best genomics websites are those that are able to strike a balance between being informative and visually appealing. So keep this in mind as you start planning your own site.
Do you have any other examples of great genomics new website design? Share them with us in the comments below.